Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Reflecting

I have to stop today and write. I have to write it out to the world so that you all know how grateful we are to you. Walker's March of Dimes team has raised close to $700 in the very short days we have been campaigning. Our hearts are so full that people have taken the time to donate to such a great organization that helps prematurity.

Before getting pregnant I thought pregnancy would be easy. I would grow this big ol' belly and I would have this everlasting glow and I would feel the best that I have ever felt. I was completely wrong. My belly barely got the chance to grow, my glow was just starting, but I did feel the best that I had ever felt. I had great prenatal care. My doctor was great. I did every thing that I was supposed to. I even prepared myself for being 42 weeks pregnant, happily.  I followed all the rules. Unfortunately, that doesn't guarantee a full term pregnancy.

Having Walker as a micropreemie changed our lives. It changed anyone and everyone that knew me or knew Walker's story. This teeny tiny baby only weighing 1 pound 14 ounces was stronger than anyone could possibly imagine him to be. He taught me what the real meaning of having patience meant. He taught me how to stand still in the storm. He taught me what really matters. He lit a flame to my desire to be closer to God. He taught me the true meaning of "Let go and let God". I was no longer in control. It did not matter that I had followed all the rules that were laid out for me. This was Walker's battle that he had to win. I was simply his biggest cheerleader.

If there was anything that I could have done to prevent my early bird from coming, I would have tried it. We tried every thing to prevent him from coming at a mere 25 weeks. I was laying in a hospital bed hooked up to magnesium and flaming hot. I had shots administered left and right it seemed. I was laying in the bed with my feet above my head. I even went against my wishes of having an epidural only because they said it could delay labor. Any hour or second Walker waited was best for him.  We tried it all, but it was necessary for Walker to make his debut when he did.

We were lucky and we had a great support system. R and I both have huge families that rallied around us in our time of need. Our friends were always asking what they could do. My February Mom's were always there to listen. They wanted updates on Walker, and always were offering their hugs, prayers, thoughts, and sent many cards to us. Readers that I have never met left messages for us. Walker was on many prayer lists around the world. There was never a time where we didn't feel love.

So thank you. Thank you for all that you have done for us. For making us feel loved and supported through those grueling 6 months in the hospital and also for the wonderful almost one year mark that Walker has been home. You mean the world to us!


To donate to Walker's MOD team, please click  here

No comments: