Thursday, June 2, 2011

Telling the Daddy-To-Be

Yesterday I was on cloud 9! I could not have been happier! I had a horrible migraine that I attested to the hormone changes going on in my body. I promise I will NOT be one of those pregnant ladies who mopes and complains. I've waited my entire life to be where I am and I'm so extremely happy!

Anyways, last night my mom and I went to eat with another mom and her daughter. Both of our mom's worked together when we were little and we grew a friendship early on. It just so happens that we graduated in May. Her with a Masters and me with a Bachelors, so it was sort of our graduation dinner.

I packed the Clear Blue "pregnant" pregnancy test in my purse, in fear that R would somehow stumble across it. Which would've never happened. R doesn't like going through women's "things"; especially purses! But anyways, I carried it with me and kept checking to make sure it still said pregnant. I wanted to make sure so that when I got home I could tell him. There's absolutely no way I could've waited! R is my best friend, I literally tell him EVERYTHING!

So throughout the dinner, enjoyable as it was, I was dying to get home! When I'm able to let people know of my pregnancy I will let Sharla and Nikki know that if my attitude was anything other than polite, it was because I had this secret burning through me! I'm pretty sure they would understand.

When I got home it was pretty late for us. 10:20 p.m. on a work night. We like to go to bed early. I love to sleep and managed to marry someone who sets his own personal bed time, 9 p.m. at the latest. We've been staying up late at night and I thought he would be up. I was wrong. I walked into the room to find him sleeping. I should say I walked and sang a little diddy that I made up when approaching the bed. I thought he was pretending to be sleeping so I shook him. He wasn't very happy. I told him that I got him a very special present and to hold out his hands and close his eyes. Just a little game we always play. So he did and said, "I can't read in the dark". I turned on the light and he "pregnant, congratulations", and went right back to sleep.

I was bummed and jumped into my lovely bathtub. Before I went to bed I was thinking: before today, it was just a marriage. Yes, we are committed to one another and our marriage, but at any time one of us could easily walk away and there's nothing holding us back. Not that either wanted to or it's ever crossed our minds, but in a split second, everything has changed. We're a family. I have a teeny, tiny baby growing inside of me that is half R and half me. Needless to say, I fell asleep praising God and feeling more loved than I have ever felt in my 26 years of life.

I thought maybe I should've just waited till the morning when he was alert but I couldn't hold it in anymore! This morning he was how I expected him to react last night. R is a major morning person! Sometimes too much for me! He was so loving and rubbing my belly and saying sweet words. I showed him all the tests that I've taken within the past few days. He was a little grumpy when he knew I was doing this without his knowledge. He has always remained adamant that he wanted to know first, before anyone else. I told him, "Now don't go telling people.". And he claims I have a big mouth!

I have a wonderful husband. He is scared, anxious, overjoyed and excited. He told me, "this is a major accomplishment and I'm proud of you". My husband never fails to let me know how proud he is of me in everything in life. He is wonderful!

All of our work seems to be paying off. We've conceived a baby and can't wait till the 27th to make sure everything is going just right.


"We loved with a love that was more than love."
- Edgar Allan Poe

No comments: