Thursday, March 15, 2012

Days 135-139

Day 135: Sunday, March 11, 2012- So today we took a step back. For the past couple of days we've noticed Walker breathing harder and last night it sounded wet. Today at 6 pm, he was put on nasal cannula at 25 cc on oxygen and given a dose of Lasix. We're both kind of bummed.

Walker is weighing in at 2,490 grams. That's 7 pounds 11 ounces. He is 49 5/8 centimeters.

Day 136: Monday, March 12, 2012- Feeds have been increased to 22cc for one hour. Off two hours.

Walker is weighing in at 3,505 grams. Still 7 pounds 11 ounces, almost 12 ounces.

Day 137: Tuesday, March 13, 2012- Today was not a good day. I'm sick and tired of his team of doctors this month. I can't wait for us to move or it to be the end of the month. Back story: Last week the doctors mentioned something about Walker having Short Gut. I flipped out because it was the first I'd ever heard of it. Then, Nurse Courtney brought it up to Dr. Naik, the surgeon; to which she quickly dismissed this. The reason the doctors thought he had it was because of him having parts of his intestines removed and because his feeds didn't start out well. Dr. Naik quickly dismissed this and scolded them for evening telling us he had it. Well, they keep bringing it up. Only "suggesting" the possibility of him having it. I'm about to flip a lid! I'll use my words as my ammo but I'm going crazy. If they say it again, there will be a rumble in the Level 3

Of course Walker would have issues with feeds, he's never truly ate in 4 months. His gut would be immature to having something like milk in it. It all takes time and Walker will prove these doctors, watch him! Why would they speak this over my innocent baby? They tell you in that in the NICU always put off positive vibes to your baby. That they can feel it. Well, what the hell are they thinking?
My little Chub a Wub is still cute as ever!


Walker had a good night with Nurse Esther. He slept from midnight to five this morning. Momma can deal with that sleep schedule!

Walker has improved so much on his suck, swallow and breathe reflex. He did fabulous today!

Walker is weighing in at 3,600 grams. That's 7 pounds 15 ounces.

EDIT: I really dislike the doctor that was filling in for his doctor this month. Dr. Spear is really good and I retract my statement about him. But not so much about the fellow. 

Day 138: Wednesday, March 14, 2012- Walker's breathing is still not where it should. I was a complete mess today. He's breathing really hard and you can tell he's exhausted. They think it could be his chronic lung disease catching up with him. He's gaining weight at a pretty fast, but a healthy pace and his lungs kind of suffer from that. He needs time for his lungs to grow. He's still as sweet as ever and loves to snuggle with his Momma.
"Okay guys, are we three going to be best friends now?"

Look at his little face! "I want my Lambie but not right now"

"Hmmm"

Walker in his speckled big boy crib with his friends watching over him.



Dr. Spear gave an estimate of 10 days to 3 weeks for Walker to come home! His feeds are up to 32 cc! We are half way to full feeds and his TPN has been lowered too!

Day 139: Thursday, March 15, 2012- What a horrible day! I couldn't sleep last night and was freaking out about Walker. Last night they started Lasix to try to relieve some fluid around his lungs. Yeah, didn't work. I knew it was something more.
The only thing that makes him happy to be held like this and for Momma to sway.

Turns out Walker is pretty sick. He's fighting some infection and has been poked, prodded, drained, suctioned and squeezed all day long. His platelets are low so he's getting a transfusion along with two antibiotics. He was put on CPAP because he needed extra pressure to expand his lungs. He has an ugly scalp IV. There's so much to say and I can't remember it. Walker's been taken off the list for Level 2 until they figure this thing out. That's fine with us because we love his nurses and know he'll be taken care of really well from people that LOVE him. Who knows? Maybe we could go home from Level 3 like we want.

I've been cautious. Sometimes OVER cautious about who comes in contact with my baby. I'm not afraid to say it either. He's my baby and while people think he is doing so much better, which he is, he is still at higher risk of catching things. The hospital is dirty and is filled with sick kids. We can't believe it's taken this long for Walker to get sick, but he did. We're hoping for this infection to hurry up and pass us and we'll be on our way again. If you think I'm bad now, just imagine when he comes home. I have absolutely no problem restricting my baby from the world until I feel like he is ready for visitors. Once we're discharged from the hospital, I want it to be years if ever, before he is admitted again.Walker is finally peacefully sleeping and this Momma has been through a whirlwind today. I would take his infection times 10, if only I could.
"I'm here to make balloon animals for the kids". Even though he looks rough, doesn't he look like a clown with a little hat on his head? Reminds me of the clown in the movie, Uncle Buck!
What the hell just happened today?

On another note, we've bought the floors that R will begin laying down this weekend. Something positive to look forward to. It's Brazilian Walnut and it's beautiful!

No comments: