Wednesday, August 24, 2011

“They beat me up, Scotty”

Monday, Monday. What a day that was! I went to my third appointment, 15 weeks and 3 days, to do the glucose test and blood work. My doctor does things differently than most. I got to pick out my drink and take it home with at my previous appointment. R got up and made me my usual breakfast, eggs with hash browns and I went back to sleep for a little while. I was feeling queasy the night before and could barely sleep. People have always said that the drink is the worst part and it is so gross, so I was scared. Plus, I’m not able to handle sweets all too well so I was really nervous that I was going to have a puke fest! Fortunately I woke up and after a pep talk, plugged my nose and chugged that drink over the kitchen sink. I chose the fruit punch flavor and it wasn’t bad.
My appointment went horribly! I have deep veins, which makes it hard for ANYONE to draw my blood. She tried in both of upper arms and couldn’t find a good vein. I thought for sure I was going to have bruises from where she was hitting the creases in my arms. She then moved to my hands. She tried my right hand and was able to get a little before that vein blew. Then moved on to my left hand in between my knuckles, got a little and then that vein blew too. I’m not a wimp to pain but that damn in between the knuckles try, hurt like a you know what!
After that I moved into the exam room to hear the baby’s heartbeat and he couldn’t find it. I was freaking out. I could see the aggravation in his face and just started praying. He said he usually has problems with that Doppler so he went next door and got another and what do you know! I heard Baby E’s heartbeat. 156 beats per minute. I scheduled the autonomy scan to find out the sex for September 22nd at 8:30 a.m. After that horrendous appointment I treated myself to Chick Fil A and a long leisurely nap. I deserved it!
Check out my battle scars!
005
In between the knuckles. This one still aches.
006
The band aids hurt to pull out
People asked why I was taking my glucose test early and I did ask my doctor. He said he sees no reason in waiting until a patient is in the last trimester to find out that they are diabetic when he should’ve been treating them months in advanced. Makes sense to me! So I will take another one later on in pregnancy but he won’t wait until the end.

No comments: